December 10, 2010

A Dying Experiment

Kludging goal: Make black/white dress more interesting, cover up some previously existing dye bleeds
Kludging skill level: Apprentice
Permanence: Permanent
Starting materials: Dress, RIT dye
Required tools: Drywall bucket, rubber gloves, paint stirrer, lots of water

I found a really great BB Dakota dress at a thrift shop and snatched it up for a few bucks. I really liked the style and fit of the dress, but its black and white color scheme was a little boring and waitressy for me.

On today's menu: Yawns.

Another issue was that when the previous owner had washed the dress, some of the black dye from the skirt had bled onto the white top. It was not very noticeable, but I figured I could try to cover it up.

I decided to buy a package of magenta fabric dye and try to spruce this baby up. I followed the directions on the dye package closely, dissolving the dye in a small amount of water before adding it to the larger bucket.

The world's first look at our hideous basement shower. Ta-da!

I dipped just the top half of the dress into the dye, swishing it around with the paint stirrer. I also threw a beige corduroy jacket in the dye bath on a whim.

Just out of the dye bath.
The color turned out very nicely. It hid the majority of the bled areas, too. For just a few dollars spent on dye, now this dress is one of my favorites!

1 comment: